Thursday, March 17, 2011

You know my name, not my story.

When I was little, I always hated my name. I wanted a cool name like Elisabeth or Morganne, I was actually planning to one day change my name from Claudia, into a "cool" name.

But what is a name? Is it a form of identity? Is it really the answer to the question "Who is that?" ? I know more than 20 people that go by the name of Alex, yet they are all very different people, and not one of them seem to be soul mates for each other. On top of that, to be honest, I only know about 3 of those 20 peoples' story.

Judging people by their name, whether the name sounds cool or boring, foreign or familiar, each name has a face and a life attached to it. So, judging people by their name is like judging a book by it's cover- Unfortunately many people do it and miss reading some of the most amazing books in the world. The people that don't judge, may or may not like the story, but at least had to chance to turn some pages in that book, and see what's it about.

Whether your name is Mohamed, Hyun Jung, Emilio or just Alex. It shouldn't matter, because one may know your name, but not your story. At the end of the day we care about stories, not labeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment