Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Living in and loving Amsterdam

When I had to choose my university I had the choice to either go to Glasgow (Heriot Watt University), London (London College of Fashion) or Amsterdam (Amsterdam Fashion Institute). I visited all universities and was torn between London or Amsterdam.

Scotland was nothing for me, the university was located in the middle of nowhere, with the city center 90 minutes away. The view in your dorm room was a herd of sheep and mountains. That was a total no-go for me and officially out of the question. I need city life, I need active leisure time with city lights, colorful cocktails and street musicians playing their hearts out.

London would have been a one year program, and then I would have to reapply again for a new course, risking not getting into the new course. Plus, London living is very expensive. And on top of that, half of my school where I graduated from goes to London. I wanted something new, something fresh.

Amsterdam was the perfect in-between option for me; close to Belgium, my home country, I speak the language, and I loved the city from my first visit on. The canals, architecture, happy people, good food, and the spontaneous atmosphere made it all picture perfect!

Amsterdam has flabbergasted me in several different ways. Coming from a catholic country, where the church on Sunday is busier than any shopping mall, seeing Amsterdam so freely was a shocker. Seeing a presentable business man walk into a red, little window closet, coming out 10 minutes later, zipping up his pants with a dirty smirk on his face is something that you don't forget easily. Or the fact that rolling a joint on the tram after one gets off work is totally normal, no stares and no glares.
Unfortunately, those things tend to be the typical tourist things to do, and don't exactly captivate the essence of Amsterdam. If I think of Amsterdam, I think of little cafe's, vintage stores, museums, canal cruises, a chat with your neighbor, and of course, biking. The Dutch have a big biking culture, very eco-friendly and it's a great way to stay fit. With all the narrow streets, ridiculously expensive car parking and hopefully some sunshine, biking really is your best bet.

Amsterdam is so cozy, and you keep discovering new areas, streets and hot spots to go to. I am so happy to be living here!











No comments:

Post a Comment