Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I'm talking Sętowski with some green tea



Born in 1961, Sętowski was made to be a Magic Realism superstar. He graduated at the Faculty of Fine Arts in Czestochowa, Poland in 1989. From there on, he started getting noticed by art lovers for his unique painting style. His trippy, story telling paintings caught attention. Stricoff Fine Arts, one of New York's best galleries, was looking for a breath of fresh air, and decided to take a chance with Tomasz Sętowski. This meant a career breakthrough for him.

I have been to a few galleries with Sętowski paintings on display (in Poland), and they are absolutely fascinating. You get sucked into the world the artist paints on a canvas, and feel a little bit like Alice in Wonderland. The way he sees things and is able to portray them using paints, highly studied techniques and passion would captivate anybody.

...

I'm just imagining being a well-aged artsy lady, with long grey hair tied back in a bun. Going from gallery to gallery as a daily activity, admiring the artists' work whilst sipping on a cup of delicious green tea made by the gallery owner. The gallery owner sits in a big red, velvet chair behind a little wooden table, which really isn't big enough for all the paper work he has laying around, but he finds the contrast of big and small amusing. He get's up and leads me through the gallery and basically gives me a love declaration for each and every painting he has hanging there.
He goes on and on and on... a painting of Sętowski is up next. The painting fills up the whole wall. It seems like paint drops are coming from the gallery owners' mouth and fingers whilst giving this deep love declaration. He starts moving his legs as if it were paintbrushes and moves his head around as if it were to be a painters easel. My green tea starts boiling and pours out of the bottom of the cup. My knees get shaky and my feet burn as the hot tea lands on my open heels. I panic and look around, realizing that I let the Labyrinth of Imagination haunt me...

No comments:

Post a Comment