Sunday, April 3, 2011

Relaxation after frustration




This weekend, Regina, Jake, and I went to The Hague. We went on a spontaneous city trip to explore and get away from Amsterdam for the weekend. Regina's family has a house right by the beach, so we went and got some fresh spring air :)

The difference between Amsterdam and The Hague isn't enormous, but still you get a different vibe. Amsterdam is very touristic, which I quiet enjoy since people from across the world come and visit the city I study in. Yet, it is nice to be in a city where it is less touristic, and not have the awkward family pictures or the standing by a random tree pictures being taken around you. It is also just nice to change settings from time to time, see something new.

We went around town, did some shopping, some sight seeing and beer drinking. We also enjoyed the stuffed fridge Regina´s dad left us! Unthinkable food options for poor, little college kids became an option now, like biological eggs or soya milk. We had a food fest all day, every day. Love it!

I also met up with Isaaq, someone I got to know in Amsterdam, but his home town is The Hague. He showed me a bit of the street culture there. We went to the park by the central station where the boys were skateboarding, and the girls were sitting down with gold hoop earrings and pilled on make-up, admiring the tricks from the boys. Music coming from their phones and girls giggling away, bubble gum popping... All in all the location didn't matter that much because Isaaq and his friends can free-style no matter what surrounding. They were free-styling to any beat given, pulling words out of God knows where and making it rhyme, go with the beat, and have a meaning... All at the same time. All moment is moment, no pausing, no grasping for air, no stuttering. That´s impressive. One drops a beat, one joins the beat, and the other one freestyles. I've never experienced such "rhythm and poetry" come so spontaneous and pure. You never know when the freestyle bomb will hit, but when it hits, it hits hard. I was sitting there, enjoying the freestyles, yet feeling quit out of place, thus not uncomfortable. I thought about joining in and dropping a killer line or two(uhuuummm)... But my common sense stopped me (thankfully!).

Now, I am back in Amsterdam... Sigh. Suicide Monday coming up. I miss The Hague already

Pictures by Jake

No comments:

Post a Comment