Monday, March 5, 2012

I'll still give you an A+


My legs are starting to shake, and my heart rate goes up by the thought of tomorrow... The start of my internship!
This week I have to go to a school in the neighborhood and observe a few fashion and nutrition classes. I have to make notes on how the students behave in class, how the teacher teaches, what kind of media is used, etc.
Then, after Easter break, I actually have to stand in front of a class and teach a bunch of teens. It sounds so crazy to me, because not long ago, I was in high school, just as them. And now I get to be the teacher, who tells kids what to do.
In one way, it's awesome, I can shape myself to be the best teacher ever, and have the kids work with me. But it can also turn a totally different direction, and I can have the kids turn against me. I mean, I am only 20 years old, the age difference is not that big, so to get a sense of authority, or at least to have the kids think that you know what you are doing, will be tough.
Fashion and nutrition classes are mostly girls in general, and at that age, in middle of their teens, I am going to have to rock it and show my dominant side.I have never stood in front of a class to teach, so this will be something completely new.

When I was in high school, I thought teachers just correct homework, and make sure they keep you occupied during class. Wow, was I wrong. There is a lot of work that is hidden behind the scenes with this profession. The thought that scares me most is that you have to be an expert at what you do, you have to expect any question from your students. You have to know your material inside and out, because you do not want to get hushed by one of your students by lack of knowledge about your subject.
For now, I am going to find an appropriate outfit for tomorrow (not too short, not too much cleavage), and hit the hay.
Prayers for tomorrow are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment