Saturday, June 4, 2011

Don't go to sleep just to count some sheep
















The things that keep me up at night go from, HowTheFuckAmIGonneSurviveTheMonthWithThisLittleMoneyLeft?, to, how does the universe end, if it even ends? To both those questions, sadly, I rarely know the answer.

I asked a few friends of mine what keeps them up at night. It went from coffee, to sex, to worries about the next day, writing music lyrics, fear, or an interesting conversation. The best one I heard was happiness. Imagine that happiness is all that keeps you up at night. If happiness is what keeps you up, you've got nothing more you could wish for. Blessed soul.

When I was little, my mom would sing me lullabies about counting sheep and being thankful for the day you've had. The meaning of those songs I didn't pay attention to, but her soothing, calm voice would trigger my sleepy-button, and I'd be gone in no time. Instead of her voice, I now listen to the CNN broadcaster on my little telly giving the latest news, which is sadly not about counting sheep or being thankful for the wonderful day you've had...

Instead of trying to fall asleep, try to stay up tonight. See what happens. See what thoughts you bump into... Perhaps you start cleaning your room, or perhaps you make a blog post, like me. It doesn't matter what you do, but you do it and go for it.

Maybe, when you try to fall asleep tonight, thoughts will come up into your mind that usually wouldn't. You might discover something new about someone or something that you didn't know. This is the jackpot you want.

So... Who is staying up, instead of trying to fall asleep tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment